The LuminAID solar light was designed to fulfill the basic need for light in post-natural disaster situations shortly after the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti. When thinking about what they could design to make a difference, we decided to focus on affordable, renewable light because it had the potential to greatly improve the comfort, safety, and survival of disaster victims.
While on a school trip to Japan, they unexpectedly found themselves in the middle of the earthquake in March 2011. Having experienced first-hand how a disaster can negatively impact the lives of millions, they are motivated to make the LuminAID light a reality for those affected by disasters, crises, and conflict.
About the Founders: Anna Stork and Andrea Sreshta met while studying architecture and design in graduate school. They shared an interest in solar lighting technology and a common belief that design and design thinking can be used to solve problems at a global scale, including improving access to basic resources such as lighting and power.
The solar-inflatable technology developed by LuminAID Lab is patent pending both in the US and internationally through multiple filings that cover a broad range of applications and uses. The LuminAID light is our first application of this technology. The product packs flat and inflates to diffuse the light like a lantern and reduce the glare of the extra bright LEDs. For every 8 small conventional flashlights by volume, you can pack and ship approximately 50 LuminAID Lights.
- Push Button Switch with HIGH and LOW settings
- 8-10 Hours LED light on HIGH setting
- 14-16 Hours LED light on LOW setting
- Recharges in 6-7 hours of direct sunlight
- High-efficiency monocrystalline solar panel
- Lithium-Polymer Ion battery with hundreds of recharge cycles
- Dimensions: 8.25″ W x 12″ L (when not inflated) Waterproof up to 1 meter deep and can float (IPX-7)
- All components including battery are lead-free and RoHs compliant
- Weight: 3 ounces / 85 grams
- Storage and Battery Function: The LuminAID has a Lithium-Polymer Ion battery (similar to your cell phone) that was specifically chosen for its energy storage capacity and quality. The LuminAID can hold a full charge for over 4 months. Before storing for an extended period of time, it is best to make sure the battery is fully charged. We also recommend charging every 1-2 months to keep the battery at optimum condition.
- Product Videos